Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Coming Home

"I'll never forget the way I felt the morning of February 1st waiting to hear the results of her billi test.  I was under the impression that if the number went up at all, she would not be able to go home.  Todd and I sat with her in her little room and waited.  I had the kind of stomach ache I always got on the first day of school when I was little.  I just felt sick.  There was nothing I wanted more than to take my little girl home and be with my Ethan again.  I wanted my family to be together.  But as Todd and I sat there, we just looked at our little girl and it was obvious that she was more yellow than the night before...

"Rounds were every day at 10 AM.  It always took them about 45 minutes to get to Madeline.  By the time it was our turn, I could hardly breathe…she's up to a 12, they said.  'Oh, that's not good…' was all I could say.  'Well, it might not be as bad as you think.  How would you feel about taking her home on home phototherapy?'

"My heart was a flutter the rest of the day.  Madeline spent the last few hours in the NICU under the phototherapy lights while Todd and I went through discharge training.  It's no easy task to take your NICU baby home!  But by late afternoon, she was released an we were able to go home!"
 Welcome Home Madeline Jean!

No comments:

Post a Comment